Command-Line Interface (CLI)
One awesome thing about both Linux and FreeBSD is that you can interact with them the same way using the same shell software. This allows for a lot of things like scripting to be portable between the two systems.
CLI and Shell References for Newcomers
- CLI on Wikipedia - good overview
- Z shell (zsh) - my favorite shell
- Bourne Again Shell (bash) - my second favorite shell
- /bin/sh - probably the most portable shell
- List of Shells - list of *nix shells
- ANSI/VT100 Colors - colors and formatting
What about PowerShell?
We don't take too kindly to PowerShell and Windows around here. Mentioned solely for completeness.