1 Comment

Colorfully Manage Btrfs Snapshots


Subvolumes and copy-on-write snapshots are some of the nice features of Btrfs, but not something you really want to manage manually. It’s easy enough to cron snapshots, but you might want a non-linear retention policy, and you might want some insights from time-to-time regards what you’re retaining. I wrote a quick script to: 1) be cron-able, 2) be verbose if run manually, 3) be colorful to help readability.
Continue reading →


Switch to Btrfs from Hardware RAID


I recently successfully completed a migration of ~4 TB of data from one multi-disk hardware RAID array to a new software array. This article summarizes how I did it with the help of Btrfs. Storage growth was may primary goal. In short, I went from a 4x 3TB disk Dell PERC H310 hardware RAID 10 array with ~6TB storage capacity, to a 6x 3TB disk btrfs v4.1 software RAID 6 array with ~12 TB storage capacity. Both arrays have file systems sitting on top of LUKS for encryption.
Continue reading →

Ubiquiti, I Think I’m in Love

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE

For as long as I can remember, I’ve had a home network problem. While I truly enjoy the simplicity of Apple’s Airport Extreme wifi router, I often need some features that it doesn’t offer, e.g., command line interface, a web interface, dynamic DNS support, easy static dhcp mapping for dozens of clients, simple local “DNS,” etc. On the flip side, there are many high-end routers that will give you this an much more, but you need a Ph.D. in Cisco hardware to make sense of them. My typical workaround usually involved offloading network tasks to Linux servers. It works, but in most cases it felt heavy for a home network. About a year ago I bought a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and flashed dd-wrt onto it. This was a nice step forward, but the whole dd-wrt community is a bit of a hack. With every firmware update something gets better, but something else breaks. It’s cool, but not reliable.
Continue reading →